I was busy last week doing a game for a little challenge that took place over the YoYoGames forums. The idea was to create a pseudo 3D game using Game Maker without using any of the d3d functions that the program offers.
 
 
So I decided to go with something simple, a raycaster engine in GML, I’ve done many raycasters previously in JS so I’m very familiar to how it works, since the other participants were doing amazing 3D projects I decided to aim to the “fun” category so I took one of the pieces of my last current project (also in GM) Wraith and did a First Person Shooter / Tower Defense mix.
 
 
There were 3 categories in which the games were qualified and I made it at the top 3 of those 3 categories:

3D Rendering
1. Xor
2. orange451
3. Jucarave

Gameplay/fun
1. RoundCircleandSphere314628
2. Jucarave
3. Klong

speed/performance (In no particular order)
RoundCircleandSphere314628
Jucarave
lolslayer

So I’m very pleased with the results 🙂

 
The versión of the contest can be found here:
 

I continued the development of this project (now called Wraith) This is the end of the 3rd week and most of the work has been directed towards the optimization of the engine, it was running pretty well but I don’t really enjoy having so many instances doing nothing.
 
The first thing I did is to modify the way the geometry and solid instances were handled in GM, I had before one instance per block and the geometry was the same size of the block:
 
Each individual color is a collision mask and 3D geometry:
 
I merged the horizontal and vertical collisions and the geometry is merged by texture.
 
Finally, I started working on a single level to test enemies encounters and the gameplay elements. If everything goes well then I will have a demo version towards the end of February.
 
Greetings