I continued the development of this project (now called Wraith) This is the end of the 3rd week and most of the work has been directed towards the optimization of the engine, it was running pretty well but I don’t really enjoy having so many instances doing nothing.
The first thing I did is to modify the way the geometry and solid instances were handled in GM, I had before one instance per block and the geometry was the same size of the block:
Each individual color is a collision mask and 3D geometry:
I merged the horizontal and vertical collisions and the geometry is merged by texture.
Finally, I started working on a single level to test enemies encounters and the gameplay elements. If everything goes well then I will have a demo version towards the end of February.
So this new year I decided to start a new project and take a step back from the RPGs I’ve been trying to develop for the last years… My favorite games are the first person shooter and they are actually what got me into game development in the beginning, since I had an old license for Game Maker Studio I decided to give it a try and start a new project.
I know there are far better tools than Game Maker to make a 3D game, but that’s also the reason I picked GMS, it’s because I know it has a great potential for this kind of task, I already tried to develop a 3D game with GM 6 years ago and it failed, but it was done with GM8 and it was poorly optimised so I want to make it better now.
I’ve been developing it for 2 weeks now, most of the time has been working in the engine itself but I’m aiming to have something playable towards the middle or end of February
The gameplay will be based on old fps (Doom, Quake, etc) in which the action is faster and there is few story elements during gameplay, the game itself will have a story although I’m still thinking on how to present it without taking much of the game. It will have a single player campaign and a multiplayer mode, the weapons and game are going to be futuristics but in a wasteland environment.
The textures I have now (except for the gun) are from the game hexen but I’m going to replace all of them with custom made textures, I’ve done so far the collision detection in 3D (very simplistic for now since the maps are made on a grid), picking up weapons and firing making bullet holes on the walls, a terminal (like quake) to make modifications to the game and system messages for when picking weapons or making actions.
That would be all for now, I will be posting updates on this game hopefully every week with the new features I added to it.